[TxMt] Unexpected behavior with different keyboard layout.

Alexandre Soares alsoares at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 11:20:32 UTC 2008

Hi,

I use the Dvorak-Qwerty-Cmd keyboard layout and some key combinations don't
work as they should. More specifically, TextMate seems to be trying to
intercept the physical key information rather than the logical key as
defined by the layout. Let me try to clarify that with some examples.

- If I press ^P, instead of moving up one line TextMate executes a shell
command based on the current word, which is bound to ^R. That is because the
letter P of the Dvorak layout is in the place of the R of the usual layout;

- Likewise, if I press ^' TextMate reformats the paragraph, because
reformatting the paragraph is ^Q and ' is in the place of the Q of the usual
layout.

If there's no TextMate action associated with the physical key, the action
associated with the LOGICAL key gets executed instead, for instance:

- ^F, ^B and ^B work normally to go forward, back and line down with the
caret, because F, B and N are respectively Y, N and L in the usual layout,
and there aren't actions associated to ^Y, ^N an ^L;

- ^R and ^Q do what they're supposed to do (execute shell command and
reformat paragraph), as physically I'm pressing ^O and ^X, which again have
no actions associated to them, so the logical keys are considered. As a
result, I have pairs of key combinations that do the exact same thing, e.g.
^P and ^R, ^' and ^Q (and no key combination moves the caret one line up :(
).

The actions that involve the Cmd key aren't affected, because by definition
when you press Cmd on the Dvorak-Qwerty-Cmd layout the remaining keys are
supposed to behave just live in the usual layout (this is meant to make it
easier to use keyboard shortcuts such as Cmd-C and Cmd-V).

The real problem isn't much the fact that some keys behave like different
keys, but the fact that it prevents me from using some shortcuts at all, for
instance there's no longer a shortcut tho move the caret up one like, like I
said above.

So if anyone has anything to say about that, I'd appreciate.

-Alexandre.