[TxMt] Re: First impressions

Jenny Harrison harrison at Math.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Jan 30 17:29:51 UTC 2008

On 1/30/08, at 4:54 , Charilaos Skiadas wrote:

> For instance, where should a "\paragraph" end? Imagine this:
>
> \section{my section}
>
> Some text here
> \paragraph{a paragraph}
> Here is the paragraph. But where does it end?
>
> Is this part of the paragraph? Or only the section?
> What if I have some equation:
>
> \[
> 	\sin(x)
> \]
>
> Is this now still the same paragraph?
> \section{the next section}

The idea is not drag and drop directly in the document which could
have problems  you envision.  (We can already do this via foldings,
but it is unstable.)   Instead, if we could drag and drop in the
sidebar  "Go to Symbol" we would have no option but to move whole
paragraphs, subsections, or sections, much like OmniOutliner.   This
was a feature I could not live without in the old More II, but had to
adjust when the program vanished.     It should be part of the greater
GTD philosophy, much like keeping fingers on the keyboard.   When it
came to a choice between OmniOutliner and Textmate, I chose the latter
because of its numerous amazing features, but giving up clean folding
and dragging and dropping sections was nontrivial.

Jenny