[TxMt] First impressions

Andy Armstrong andy at hexten.net
Tue Jan 29 14:08:53 UTC 2008

On 29 Jan 2008, at 14:04, Konrad Hinsen wrote:
> Python support is really disappointing. Folding is completely
> useless (blocks end at the first blank line), tabs are not handled
> in a reasonable way (using hard tabs with an indentation other than
> 8 is an invitation for disaster in Python code), leading to
> indentation errors, and the error output in PyMate is insufficient
> (I want the full traceback).

TextMate has pretty bad tab support I'd say. The inability to separate
indent size from tab size and the fact that tab sized chunks of
whitespace are treated like physical tabs make it unusable for some
file types / indentation schemes. These days I use vim if I need to
care about tabs. Which is pretty tragic.

> I looked a bit at the language definitions, and I have the
> impression that reasonable folding for LaTeX and Python cannot be
> implemented in TextMate, as the beginning and end of a block must be
> defined by a regular expression matching a single line. Or did I
> overlook something?

I don't think you missed anything. If you did, I missed the same
thing. It makes it impossible to fold pod (Perl embedded
documentation) too.

--
Andy Armstrong, Hexten