[TxMt] Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NumberFormatException: null

Andre Hugo ahugo at worldonline.co.za
Fri Jan 18 15:42:20 UTC 2008

Hi

I am new to the world of textmate and java programming. I have
searched the Textmate blog and Java Forum for answers but nothing.

The program compiles and runs in the terminal by using javac Bert.java
and java Bert

But as soon as I want to use Textmate to compile and run the error is
returned:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NumberFormatException: null

Must be textmate problem. Could someone help me?

The short program that is want to compile and run is as follows:

import java.io.*;

public class Bert
{
   	public static void main(String[] args) throws IOException
   	{
	   	//Declaring Variables
	   	int price, downpayment, tradeIn, months, loanAmt;
	   	double annualInterest, payment, interest;
	   	String custName, inputPrice, inputDownPayment, inputTradeIn,
inputMonths, inputAnnualInterest;
	   	BufferedReader dataIn = new BufferedReader(new
InputStreamReader(System.in));

	   //Get Input from User
		System.out.println("What is your name?  ");
		  custName = dataIn.readLine();
		System.out.print("What is the price of the car?  ");
		  inputPrice = dataIn.readLine();
		System.out.print("What is the downpayment?  ");
		  inputDownPayment = dataIn.readLine();
		System.out.print("What is the trade-in value?  ");
			inputTradeIn = dataIn.readLine();
		System.out.print("For how many months is the loan?  ");
		  inputMonths = dataIn.readLine();
		System.out.print("What is the decimal interest rate?  ");
		  inputAnnualInterest = dataIn.readLine();

		//Conversions
		price = Integer.parseInt(inputPrice);
		downpayment = Integer.parseInt(inputDownPayment);
		tradeIn = Integer.parseInt(inputTradeIn);
		months = Integer.parseInt(inputMonths);
		annualInterest = Double.parseDouble(inputAnnualInterest);

		//Calculations
		interest = annualInterest / 12;
		loanAmt = price - downpayment - tradeIn;
		payment = loanAmt / ((1 / interest) - ( 1 / (interest * Math.pow(1 +
interest, months))));

		//Output
		System.out.print("The monthly payment for " + custName + " is $");
		System.out.println(payment);
   	}
}