[TxMt] LaTeX Bundle question

Brad Miller bonelake at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 19:38:04 UTC 2008

On Feb 8, 2008, at 11:43 AM, Geoff Vallis wrote:

> With help from Brad in setting the root file correctly, I finally
> got a working bundle for syncing with xdvi. It is very short, and I
> listed it below. It doesn't go through texMate.py. I do think that
> it would be nice eventually to incorporate xdvi syncing into
> texMate.py, but at least for now this does the trick.  Note that
> syncing requires that latex be called with the option '-src' so that
> source specials are included.
>
> Relatedly, would be be possible to create a command 'Typeset (DVI)'
> that is analogous to 'Typeset and View (PDF)', that calls the latex
> (dvi) engine (but not dvips), that goes through texMate.py, and that
> one can call with a keyboard shortcut without either changing one's
> latex preferences and without adding a special TS-program line at
> the top of the file?

I've put xdvi support on my todo list for a future texMate.py
release.  I think I would prefer to make texMate smart enough that if
xdvi is the viewer the dvips step is skipped.  That would keep all the
other options and preferences intact without creating another shortcut.

My one concern about this path going forward is that latex itself
seems more and more insistent on producing pdf output.  I tried a
couple of old documents yesterday  and even using the -output-
format=dvi option latex still created a pdf file for me.

Brad