[TxMt] LaTeX Bundle question

Geoff Vallis gkv at Princeton.EDU
Wed Feb 6 13:56:49 UTC 2008

Hello,

I'm new to TextMate so please forgive my ignorance. My question is: is
it possible to, or would it be possible to make, TextMate work well
with xdvi? Even though part of the world is trending toward using PDF
to display on the Mac, e.g. with Skim, there are still some advantages
to xdvi, in particular that the display and updating are very fast,
and it is much faster to latex a long document than to pdflatex it.

There are two things that would be needed.

1. When using latex as the engine, it seems that TextMate also invokes
dvips to create a PDF file. This should be turned off. (Perhaps there
is already an option for this?) Also, one would need to invoke latex
with src-specials turned on (latex -src-specials).

2. One would like to be able to synchronize from TextMate to xdvi.
This can be done with a command like:
  xdvi -sourceposition lineno$texfile $dvifile
for example
  xdvi -sourceposition 50myfile.tex mymasterfile.dvi

Syncing from xdvi to TextMate is already relatively easy.

I'm guessing all this may be easy for those who are familiar with
bundle editing (not me!), or even perhaps has been done already?

Thanks
Geoff Vallis