[TxMt] Re: editing .profile, and others

Jon Evans jon.evans at pobox.com
Wed Dec 3 13:08:05 UTC 2008

Hi,

> Files without extension cannot be set to binary nor text. Instead a
> heuristic is used to decide if they are text, which is effectively if
> the first 1024 bytes are valid UTF-8 or alternatively, if the file
> creator is TxMt or (I think) type is text. The latter two things can
> be set with the SetFile shell command.

Thanks Allan. I used SetFile to set the owner to TxMt on the files in
question (~/.alias ~/.bashrc ~/.profile ~/.inputrc ~/.screenrc) and it now
works.

I still had a problem with .bashrc until I restarted TM. I guess it caches
the file info the first time you open the file? It's working now anyway.

Thanks again

Jon