[TxMt] Re: LaTeX and Skim

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 04:41:05 UTC 2008

On Nov 30, 2008, at 2:26 PM, enas wrote:

> On 30 Nov 2008, at 09:42, Erich Neuwirth wrote:
>
>> I Just upgraded to TeXLive 2008 and I am experiencing some problems
>> when previewing in Skim.
>> In the Typeset & view Window I get the following error message:
>>
>> Application 'Skim' not running sh: /Applications/Skim.app/Contents/
>> Resources/displayline: No such file or directory
>
> Your texMate.py contains the wrong reference to the displayline
> script, which indeed has changed in the last version of Skim.app (why
> they made that change without even keeping a symlink for
> compatibility, that's another question).

Actually they had a symlink for a while there, which is why it was
working earlier. They just removed the symlink recently. TextMate was
the one at fault, pointing to an outdated location for some time now.

>> I already checked some earlier mails about this kind of problem and
>> found that
>> earlier the code in texMate.py had
>>
>> Contents/Resources/displayline
>> but Skim was changed and needs
>> /Contents/SharedSupport/displayline
>>
>> When I check my texMate.py
>>
>> I already have the correct code there.
>> I do not understand where the wrong line of code comes from.
>>
>> Skim starts an displays my files. I just would like to get rid of the
>> error message.
>
> Well obviously it kept the old reference to the displayline script.
>
> Have you done some custom edits to texMate.py? That's the only lead I
> have, I'm sure the gurus of this list will have other ideas too.

Likely this is the problem, you have a local version of texMate.py
that is in odds with the bundle version. When you say above "I check
my texMate.py", can you be more specific where exactly this
texMate.py is located, and whether there are any other copies lying
around? Usual suspects are, in order of precedence:

~/Library/Application Support/TextMate/...
/Library/Application Support/TextMate/...
Within the TextMate.app bundle (right click, inspect packages ...)

>> I have another problem also:
>> Forward search i.e. selecting text in TextMake and finding the
>> corresponding spot in Skim, does not work.
>>
>> Neither selecting Show in PDF  Viewer (pdfsync) nor pressing Ctrl-
>> Alt-
>> Apple-O does anything.
>>
>> I do have Skim 1. 2 (38), TeXLive 2008 ad TextMate 1.5.8 (1496)
>
> Well that's because all that is the job of the displayline script :)

Make sure to also remove any .pdfsync files you might have had there.

> enas

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College