[TxMt] Advice on a Langauge Grammar?

Charles Turner vze26m98 at optonline.net
Sun Aug 31 19:46:10 UTC 2008

Hi all-

I'm working on a language grammar for Forth, and am hoping I could get
some advice or pointers for my work. I've read the TextMate manual, and
James Gray's fine book, although I'm sure I haven't extracted every
nugget of info from those texts.

As some of you may be aware, Forth is a stateful language, and there
are certain keywords that are valid only when Forth is compiling. For
example, some words, like IF, THEN and ELSE, can be used only within a
word (function) definition.

So it would be nice to capture this in the scope, and assign these
compile-only words to an "invalid" scope when they are used outside a
function definition. The question is, how to (best) do this?

I've looked at the C language definition a bit, and clearly there are
two modes there: "preprocessing", and "not". But with Forth, I should
be able to assign an invalid scope to the top-level; in essence, have
an invalid scope for source.forth.

Any thoughts?

Best, Charles