[TxMt] Navigation across source code files

Trevor Harmon trevor at vocaro.com
Fri Aug 22 15:34:40 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I recently joined a small Java development team. Everyone here is
using Eclipse, and I'm the only TextMate user. They're all ganging up
on me, trying to make me switch to Eclipse. And I must say they do
have a point: For Java development, Eclipse is simply a more
productive environment than TextMate. It can do some truly amazing
code completion and refactoring acrobatics, and debugging is simply a
matter of setting a breakpoint and hitting the Go button. The complete
feature list is here:

http://help.eclipse.org/ganymede/topic/org.eclipse.jdt.doc.user/tips/jdt_tips.html

Now, I realize that TextMate is an agnostic text editor and not a Java
IDE, so I can forgive the lack of debugger integration. And some of
the simpler code completion stuff might be replicated with the right
snippet or macro. But there is one feature in Eclipse of which I am
green with jealousy: navigation across source code files.

For example, you can put the cursor over a variable, class name, or
whatever, then hit F3 to automatically navigate to wherever it is
declared. You can instantly jump from a method invocation to its
implementation, for example. You can also easily navigate across
complex class hierarchies, jumping from a class definition to its
parent, then its grandparent, and so on.

This is so much quicker and easier than anything TextMate provides for
project navigation. The closest thing I could find was TmCodeBrowser,
but it only works on a single file. It's kind of useless for projects
like mine with several hundred classes.

Have there been any attempts at creating a TextMate bundle or plugin
that would allow the kind of source code navigation I'm looking for?
If not, does anyone have some suggestions on how I would go about
writing my own? (It would be nice to have some kind of generic
framework for this feature, since it would apply to almost any
language in TextMate, not just Java.)

Trevor