[TxMt] Recovering from crashes (was: Huge files in Textmate)

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 13:37:55 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 11:47 AM, Adam Eberbach <aeberbach at mac.com> wrote:
> I have a 300MB file, a text file which is the output of a long SQL run. Years
> ago I remembered opening such huge files in Visual Studio or Slickedit without
> much trouble so I tried it - no way, it gave up after grabbing about 1.2GB of
> RAM and exhausting what was free.
>
> OK, silly thing to do anyway - I got what I needed from the terminal using head
> and tail. But is this expected behavior? Can't it partially load files and
> load/dump as you scroll? Eating 4x file size in memory and still not having
> enough seems a bit excessive.
>
> Not complaining, just curious.

In the meantime I have learnt that I may not open huge files (I do not
complain about that - I still have vim), but there was one bigger
problem. I often purely accidentally clicked on such a file while
editing other files in the folder, and TextMate crashed. Well, maybe
it did not really crash (I don't remember exactly), but it was
definitely staled. So I had to force closing it, and lost all the
other work in other windows. Even if I saved the files, I still lost
the "open windows" and had to open and organize everything from
scratch again. Which was pretty annoying. It would be nice if that
could be fixed somehow, but I don't want to camplain too much as other
features have priority.

One reason why I love Firefox is that despite its frequent crashes, it
reopens all the windows that have been open before the crash when I
start it again. That would be a nice feature in TextMate. Low
priority, but welcome.

Mojca