[TxMt] DIALOG2 popup Question

Hans-Joerg Bibiko bibiko at eva.mpg.de
Thu Apr 17 11:00:45 UTC 2008

On 17 Apr 2008, at 11:58, Allan Odgaard wrote:
> On 17 Apr 2008, at 11:29, Hans-Joerg Bibiko wrote:
>
>> The key 'insert': This is very useful to have but I believe its
>> name is a bit confusing. I expected that instead to insert "match"
>> or "display" to insert the value of "insert". But it is a kind of
>> static suffix. Maybe better to rename it to suffix?
>
> I do not follow this. We have:
>
>   display → the string displayed in the pop-up
>   match   → the string matched against user input
>   insert  → the string inserted after the user press ↩
Yes, yes ;) Maybe I was a bit confused. I only have my "problem" in
mind and popup is really a narrow down completion. And "insert" is
linked to insert after the completion is finished, and not to insert
the content of "insert" instead of the completion's result.

In addition what purpose has the option "wait"?
As I mentioned it works but I do not see what I'm typing whereas popup
follows my keyboard input correctly. If I then press ESC everything
what I typed will be inserted. (?) If I press RETURN the term I typed
will inserted plus its completion coming from my selected item and
additionally I will get a plist of my selected item.
This behaviour led me to the conclusion that instead of the completion
result the content of "insert" would inserted.

Maybe it's worth to write a tiny manual for DIALOG2 ;)

--Hans