[TxMt] Question about Find in Project

Allan Odgaard throw-away-2 at macromates.com
Thu Apr 17 02:46:54 UTC 2008

On 16 Apr 2008, at 23:08, Kevin Ridgway wrote:

> Does anyone know if you can save your search results (in Find in
> Project dialog), as a text file?

You can’t. Coincidentally I had (the first) feature request for this
less than a month ago.

> I tried selecting items in the dialog and copy and pasting into a
> textmate document, but that doesn't work.

I was considering making Edit → Copy with focus on the search results
control work for this. My fear was the discoverability, but it seems
you would have found it, so likely I will proceed along that path :)

Still not sure exactly what part of the results the user would expect
to get on the clipboard though. Would you want the entire line of each
match (which would be lines, plural, for multi-line searches)?

> It would be nice to get my results into it's own file.  My situation
> is that there are many instances of a particular email address(es) in
> some webforms, and I'd like to give a nice list (like the dialog has)
> to someone.

For now you can use find + grep in Terminal to produce the results,
e.g.:

     find ~/MyProject -name '*.html' -exec grep 'foo at bar.com' '{}' \;

You can give -H to grep to also output the file name, if you need it.