[TxMt] Java highlighting breaks when a declaration spreads multiple lines

Mark Day mday at mac.com
Wed Sep 19 23:30:34 UTC 2007

On Sep 14, 2007, at 6:17 AM, Chris Corbyn wrote:

> If I write a method declaration in an interface:

<snipped declaration that spans multiple lines>

> Then it breaks the highlighting.
>
> If I put it all on the one line then it works fine.

This is a known issue.  And it's not just Java.  For performance
reasons, TextMate examines only one line of the file at a time when
matching against the grammar's regular expressions.  No one line of
your declaration is a match for the regular expression.

While you could modify the grammar to accept an incomplete
declaration, it would probably result in lots of false positive matches.

Allan has mentioned he wants to address this in version 2.

-Mark