[TxMt] Latex Bundle grammar

Alain Matthes alain.matthes at mac.com
Tue Sep 11 20:17:50 UTC 2007

Le 11 sept. 07 à 20:52, Charilaos Skiadas a écrit :

>> When you include text.tex in text.tex.latex, it's not a good
>> thing. there are good package to avoid the use of if etc...
>> for example ifthen
>
> I am not following you here, why is it not a good thing?

Sorry but here it'not very easy with my poor english language. In
fr.comp.text.tex we have a lot of debates about this.

When you use Latex, it is preferable to avoid to use certain macros
of Tex (User' guide of Leslie Lamport page 204).
The first answer is the syntax, the second, some macros TeX are
different with the same name in tex and latex.

For example
tex : newcount latex : \newcounter{}
tex : newdimen latex  \newlength{}

And latex provides some other macros \setcounter{}{} \setlength{}{}
\addtocounter{}{} \addtolength{}{} etc...

With ifthen package you have \ifthenelse{test}{true code}{false code}

you have \equal{}{} \lengthtest{}{} \boolean{} \newboolean{} and
\setboolean{}{} \isodd
\whiledo{}{} \and \or \not \( \)

I think it's important to have this package in the language grammar.

>> A latex user must use \ifthenelse  \newboolean \setboolean \isodd
>> \whiledo \equal \lengthtest all these macros are in Latex and not
>> in tex.
>>
> Oh these are not tex? Ok, we can fix those, is that the complete list?

I have begin a list of all the macros of TeX and LaTeX with the most
important packages, if you want I can send it to you

>> Important keywords in LaTex are newcommand, renewcommand,
>> newcounter, setcounter, newlength, setlength, addtolength and some
>> keywords tex are also necessary : advance multiply divide etc...
>>

> Basically I don't have a complete list of the commands in LaTeX, so
> we just need to keep on adding on our existing list.

What is the best way to send the lists of macros (useful also for the
completion)

Regards Alain