[TxMt] Leopard Spaces

Thomas Aylott textmate at subtlegradient.com
Sat Oct 27 15:38:08 UTC 2007

On Oct 27, 2007, at 11:11 AM, Rob McBroom wrote:
> On 2007-Oct-27, at 10:02 AM, Steve Lianoglou wrote:
>
>> It seems as if a given application will always be "tied" to the
>> space that it is originally assigned to, or initially opened in.
>
> I think it's windows that are tied to a space and not applications.
> I did some testing and didn't see the behavior you described the
> *first* time a find dialog or a new message was opened in space 2,
> but if I then moved a window to space 1 or 3 and hit ⌘F, I'd be
> taken back to space 2 (where the find dialog was first opened). So,
> I guess the more you've been using an application since it was
> launched, the more likely you are to see this.
>
> I agree that this is potentially annoying, but I'm not sure how else
> it could work without making a lot of assumptions. Personally, I'm
> more irritated by software that makes incorrect assumptions about
> what it thinks I meant than by software that's consistently,
> predictably "dumb". Hence, my preference for TextMate's current one-
> action-at-a-time undo system. :)
>
> ---
> Rob McBroom
> <http://www.skurfer.com/>

You can tie an application to a space in the spaces pref pane, then it
will open all new windows in that space.
But the normal way would be window based like you say.
The find dialog counts as a document window to spaces and gets tied to
a space.

It's the same with the downloads window in safari. It should open on
whatever space you happen to be in at the moment, but it reopens on
the last space it was open on instead.

It's rather annoying, but it seems like there should be something that
the app developer can do to work around this issue. Maybe some way to
force certain windows (find dialogs, downloads window, etc...) to
never be tied to a space. You can do that with entire applications in
the spaces pref, but there should be some way to do it on a window
level as well, somehow.

—Thomas Aylott – subtleGradient—