[TxMt] Hard wrapping in TextMate

Guido Governatori guido at itee.uq.edu.au
Thu Oct 25 21:33:36 UTC 2007

On 25/10/2007, at 1:34 PM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> On 25/10/2007, at 02:59, Guido Governatori wrote:
>
>> Is there any way to have automatic hard wrapping?
>
> No

Can I put this as a feature request for TextMate2? I think it should
be user decision to have hard or soft wrapping, and to have a switch
for this could be a useful feature for people (like me) who prefer
hard wrap to soft wrap.

>> I usually write LaTeX (or other text based files) and keep the
>> source under version control with subversion (and exchange files
>> with colleagues). So often I use diff tools to check the
>> differences between version [...]
>
> Hard wrapping here is IMO not a solution to this problem. Say you
> add a word to the first line that causes the following lines to be
> wrapped differently, or somebody rewraps a paragraph to another
> column width -- now you actually did cause multiple lines to be
> changed.
>
> I know though that the present diff “support” for prose sucks since
> it is line based. There are however sub-line diff visualizers and I
> have long wanted for us to include such one in TextMate, maybe
> default to use sub-line diff for the text.* scope.
>
> If anyone got recommendations for nice sub-line diff visualizers
> [1] let me know.

GNU wdiff (http://www.gnu.org/software/wdiff/wdiff.html) has command
line switches for text to be inserted before/after changed words.

All the best

Guido
--
Dr Guido Governatori
School of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering