[TxMt] Re: TMTOOLS plug-in 0.9 release (for testing!)

Hans-Joerg Bibiko bibiko at eva.mpg.de
Thu Oct 11 07:12:28 UTC 2007

On 10 Oct 2007, at 19:29, Piero D'Ancona wrote:
> I was thinking of a triggering mechanism
> where you can use multiple key combos:
> e.g. CTRL-R in LaTeX means 'run', when I press
> it a drop down menu appears (after a delay) like
>     b = bibtex
>     l = latex
>     p = plain
>     x = xetex
> so for instance CTRL-R + B runs bibtex. If I press
> CTRL-R+B quickly the menu does not appear
> and bibtex runs directly.
>
> A better example:
> CTRL-D = delimiters
> When I press CTRL-D the command waits for a delimiter
> (menu after a delay).
> CTRL-D + ( -> a menu with a list of sizes appears:
> 1 = \left(...\right)
> 2 = \bigl(...\bigr)
> So in the end
> CTRL-D + ( + 2
> produces \bigl(...\bigr)

Well, in principal would it be possible to write such a command. A
general approach would be to write a normal tmCommand which is bound
to e.g. CTRL-R. In that tmCommand one could write a TMTOOLS command
"do waitForNextKeyDown '{time=2;}' ". waitForNextKeyDown waits for
the next key and gives back the pressed key code. If no key was
pressed for 2 seconds it gives you back -1. After having the pressed
key code you can dispatch the task in the normal tmCommand.
One thing is missing: a inline menu which will listen to a key and
'not only' for numbers 1 to 9.

But I don't know whether this feature is an issue for a plug-in. If
one write such a command for e.g. the LaTex bundle and other users
wants to use it they have to install that plug-in for invoking a
command. I want to say the key binding stuff is an internal TM issue,
not a circumferential one, at least by my opinion.

Hans