[TxMt] section, subsection-snippets etc and umlauts

Niels Kobschätzki n.kobschaetzki at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 3 13:22:55 UTC 2007

Hi!

When I use the section and similar snippets to create a section and
have a title with an Umlaut then it looks like this:

\section{this is an Umlaut-test: äöüß} % (fold)
\label{sec:this_is_an_umlaut_test_äöüß}

% section this_is_an_umlaut_test_äöüß (end)

The problem with this is that LaTeX seems not to handle umlauts and
other special characters in labels and therefore I always have to
change them to something else like

\section{this is an Umlaut-test: äöüß} % (fold)
\label{sec:this_is_an_umlaut_test_aeoeuess}

% section this_is_an_umlaut_test_aeoeuess (end)

by hand. Isn't there a possibility to do this automatically?
Ä -> Ae
Ö -> Oe
Ü -> Ue
ß ->  ss
ä -> ae
ö -> oe
ü -> ue

I think similar stuff would be useful for anyone using languages with
accents or whatever with the LaTeX-bundle and it works already with
":" and other special characters which become an underscore.
Would be really appreciated by me if this small addition could be
made :)

Niels