[TxMt] HTML Tidy Weirdness

Eric O'Brien ericob at possibilityengine.com
Thu Nov 29 04:53:08 UTC 2007

Also note from the docs:  "doctype.  ... If set to 'auto' (the
default) Tidy will use an educated guess based upon the contents of
the document. ..."

I, too, found it changing my doctype to XHTML Strict.  Which I did
*not* want happening.  So I changed to "--doctype strict" to "--
doctype transitional.

Tidy also had the nasty habit of removing all space between the
beginning of a comment and whatever was right before it.  This
completely messed up my plan to use comments that would be easily
visible and could be visually scanned for.

See bug 953800  "-i unwraps comments."

Submitted May 14, 2004.  Last comment by me, July 2, 2006.  Still
open :(

Even if the developers *did* fix it, tell me how you'd get a current
version, with the fix in it!  They apparently no longer provide the
source code, and the pre compiled Mac version is dated July 5, 2007

The version on my Mac reports "HTML Tidy for Mac OS X released on 1st
December 2004."

Macports offers one dated October 26, 2005.

eo