[TxMt] update fails

Allan Odgaard throw-away-2 at macromates.com
Tue Nov 20 11:21:14 UTC 2007

On 19 Nov 2007, at 14:48, Jasper van der Meulen wrote:

> [...]
> Somewhere i can find 1.5.6 and try all over again ?

Change the version to 1.5.6 in the 1.5.7 download link.

But learning that you open TextMate by opening the document file, I am
99% certain that the system did actually run the version on your Time
Machine backup, and the backed up version was then target for the
update.

Running the wrong version of TextMate happens all the time for me
(since I generally have 3 versions installed), even when TextMate is
already running, the system will sometimes find another version to
run, when I open a document -- and I have heard numerous complaints
from people about Leopard running (mostly trashed) applications from
their Time Machine backup.

Resetting launch services works temporarily (as Rob suggests), the
problem is that if you open a folder with applications, the system
will cache the info from these applications, and it seems that for
file types where you did not explicitly assign an application, it is
the last one seen, which can handle the type, that gets to handle it.