[TxMt] svnserve or apache2 on Leopard?

Thomas Aylott - subtleGradient textmate at subtleGradient.com
Sat Nov 10 22:43:20 UTC 2007

On Nov 10, 2007, at 12:31 PM, s.ross wrote:
> Granted svn can be a pain to set up, but is Mercurial generally
> accepted by the Open Source community? Right now, if someone wants
> to pass around a new Textmate bundle or Rails plugin, they point to
> an svn repo and the deal is done. I haven't looked into Mercurial
> too carefully, but if it's better and can be accessed by svn users
> transparently (riiiigggt :) then it could be a godsend.
>
> Any thoughts on that?

I recommend Subversion in these cases:
	You're working on an existing Subversion repo (No sense switching if
it works for you)
	You're working with people you use Subversion
	Any other form of necessary interoperability.
		EG: Most rails plugins are in subversion so that people can easily
subscribe to them with svn:externals

I recommend Mercurial:
	For new projects with a single user
	For small projects that you aren't likely to share
	For projects that include a lot of Mac bundle files like numbers
documents and such
		(Svn requires putting a .svn folder in every subfolder of your
project. Mercurial has a single one at the root)
	When you must be able to work offline for long periods of time
	When you want to totally annoy people who know subversion ;)

For Subversion the pattern is a bit different than with Mercurial.
For Subversion, since creating a repository is so painful, people tend
to make a large repo that contains multiple subprojects. EG:
Macromates bundle repo.
For Mercurial, it would make the most sense to have a separate
Mercurial project per project, or per bundle. Since it's not as easy
to checkout only a subfolder of a project (afaik).

I should really move some of my existing projects to Mercurial. It
really is much more of a pain to use svn but I'm just in the habbit.
And I just hooked up all my repos to update an ical calendar oncommit
hook. I'm not sure how to do that in Mercurial.

—Thomas Aylott – subtleGradient—