[TxMt] Re: No Halloween-TM this year?

Thomas Aylott - subtleGradient textmate at subtleGradient.com
Fri Nov 2 14:56:11 UTC 2007

On Nov 2, 2007, at 9:22 AM, Eric Uner wrote:
> On Nov 2, 2007, at 7:00 AM, textmate-request at lists.macromates.com
> wrote:
>
>> Thomas Aylott - subtleGradient wrote:
>>>
>>> Sounds lovely. Can we just make it optional?
>>
>> No.  Allan will force us all to become members of his pagan/
>> satanist pumpkin-worshiping (or in winter, snowflake-worshiping,
>> etc.) death cult.  Muaahaahahahaha
>
> I'd like to add to the chorus of sadness; the Halloween theme made
> my day and it's a shame that some people have no sense of fun and
> humor. When the stars are right and dred Cthulhu comes to claim us
> from the unknown depths beyond nightmares, I know he will treat them
> in a manner befitting their overly-serious views.
>
> But I have to say I think part of what made the Halloween theme fun
> would be taken away if it was up to me to apply it. I'd rather see
> the fun continue, and I'd love a few more each year to be sure. I
> suppose an option to turn it off once it appears, or maybe just
> before, would suffice to quell the nay sayers (until Cthulhu eats
> them, of course). :-)

As i learned oh so painfully with a poorly chosen joke about unixy
stuff recently, the textmate community is rather diverse. We are users
from around the world, and some of us actually have serious beliefs.

Personally, the halloween thing was a minor annoyance. I know how to
change icons and stuff rather easily so it only took me a few minutes
to get rid of.

For other people that don't want to have any association with
halloween but aren't so good at replacing icons, I can understand
their frustration. There might be some people who wouldn't be offended
but might work with people that would.

I think the textmate community as a whole is very respectful,
intelligent and open minded. But it's very surprising how sensitive
some people can be about other people being offended. I guess we're
all sensitive about something.

So, yes, I'm all for adding theming capabilities to TextMate. Even
automatic themes that occasionally apply themselves. But can we please
try to do that without offending people or excessively annoying them?

Sorry if I've offended you by not wanting anything to do with halloween.

—Thomas Aylott – subtleGradient—