[TxMt] Re: Performance Request: Faster "Find in Project"

Chuck Esterbrook chuck.esterbrook at gmail.com
Sun May 27 19:28:07 UTC 2007

On 5/27/07, Piero D'Ancona <pierodancona at gmail.com> wrote:
> Personal experience:
>
> DevTools + 12G of papers (mostly pdf) on a Powerbook G4 1.5 with 512M:
> Spotlight is slow, close to painfully. Quicksilver much better (slowish)
>
> DevTools + 18G of papers (mostly pdf) on a MacBook pro 2.33 with 3G (yay!):
> Spotlight is as fast as Quicksilver. First time you call Spotlight can be a
> bit slow to list results (3-5 sec), from the second time on it's
> very fast, like in Jobs' keynotes. I use Spotlight as an app launcher,
> would you believe it?
>
> Piero

Yep, I do the same thing (Spotlight as an app launcher).

Yes, TextMate gets faster after the first time as does Spotlight. But
Spotlight's first time is faster than TextMate's, and likewise,
Spotlight's subsequent times are faster than TextMate's.

Also, I think Spotlight may be displaying results as they come in.
TextMate seems to wait until it has completed the search. Improving
that could make a difference.

Indexing would too. (The subsequent speedups are likely from operating
system level file caching as someone pointed out.)

For reference, I have Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro with 3 GB. These
improvements would probably help slower machines with less RAM even
more.

-Chuck