[TxMt] Mercurial Bundle: Diff Commands

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Wed May 16 21:33:38 UTC 2007

On 16. May 2007, at 09:29, Eike Bernhardt wrote:

> [...]
> since without the iconv call I'd get empty diff windows (probably
> because of incorrectly encoded german special chars inside the
> generated
> diff) -- but I'm not shure if this is just a local problem.

What encoding do you use for your source files?

The official party line is that all TM commands which work with files
“on disk” expect these to be in UTF-8.

This includes stuff like diff’ing (via the SCM system), finding TODO
tags in your project, etc.

It also includes output from programs you run in TextMate, e.g. the
various ScriptMate derivatives (PerlMate, RubyMate, PyMate, etc.),
the Xcode target runner, etc.

Having all these commands handle encoding is quite a lot of
complexity (and non-trivial, since encodings (other than the various
UTF-n variants) can’t be determined safely by just looking at the file).