[TxMt] Several newbie-questions

Rob McBroom textmate at skurfer.com
Fri May 11 15:26:25 UTC 2007

On May 10, 2007, at 6:37 PM, Thomas Mai wrote:

> How can I open the file at the cursor directly from inside the editor?

Not sure what you mean. A file selected in the Finder? In TextMate's
project drawer?

> Can TM hilight the matching brackets? (I'm using "pastels on dark"
> color scheme; if thats important...)

When you type a closing bracket, the opening bracket will flash, but
it happens quick and in many cases, the match is off-screen, which
doesn't help you much. An alternative that a lot of us use is to
place the cursor inside the brackets somewhere (but not inside any
sub-brackets) and hit ⇧⌘B (Edit → Select → Enclosing
Brackets). If you want to jump to the beginning or end of the
resulting selection, just hit ← or →.

> How do I make the cursor follow when I've scrolled some pages with
> Ctrl-CursorUp/Down? "Standard-behaviour" is that the cursor stays
> where I've started.

This has been answered in the past, but I don't remember because it
never bothered me. If you search the list archives, you should find it.

> How do I find the next match (for the same criteria) when searching
> incrementally with Ctrl+S?

Hit ⌃S again (and again and again if needed).

> Is there a simple calculator in TM?

Check out the Math bundle. Most operations can be called with ⌃⇧C.

> I prefer bookmarks that I can access directly, e.g. something like
> ^1 for line 40, ^2 for line 88 etc - instead of F2. Can I have that
> with TM?

Not that I know of, but someone else can chime in if they have any
ideas.

---
Rob McBroom
<http://www.skurfer.com/>
I didn't "switch" to Apple... my OS did.