[TxMt] XCode - Clickable error messages

Gerd Knops gerti-textmate at bitart.com
Sun May 6 16:17:44 UTC 2007

On May 5, 2007, at 4:10 AM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> On 3. May 2007, at 16:37, Gerd Knops wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> You know, I still haven't forgiven you for removing that output
>> option where one could enter a pattern. Since then my tools spend
>> a lot more code on formatting output then on getting their job done.
>
> Here’s an idea: write your own tool and use that:

> You could do that tool in a dozen lines of perl and use tm_dialog
> to open the output console. Within a few hours, you should have
> something vastly superior to that crappy window I killed.

While true (and I have done that), the key here is "Within a few
hours" * languages/compilers/whatever used... The old method, while
it may have been crappy, allowed me to get something reasonable
within a minute or three.

Anyhow, my actual point was: I'd much rather have the added value of
TM doing something smart with some carefully crafted (eg matching an
expression) ascii debug output then having to write a custom filter
(which makes my program dependant on it, bad when others using other
environments work with it), or, gasp, actually have to emit my debug
messages in html. I *hate* handcrafting html. Debugging output is
often very short-lived. It should require minimum effort to add and
remove to/from code.

Gerd