[TxMt] The Dvorak-Qwerty layout, 2 years later

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Sat May 5 08:25:22 UTC 2007

On 4. May 2007, at 21:44, Sami Samhuri wrote:

> [...]
> Is there anything in the works to handle the DQ layout properly in
> TM2? [...] it's foolish to think that maybe Leopard will include
> some new key handling abilities just for us DQ guys, but I'm
> clinging to a shred of hope.

FYI the problem is not as such the keyboard handling of the OS, it is
the keyboard handling of Cocoa, i.e. that Cocoa has its own keyboard
event based on the actual Carbon event, but lacking some important
information to actually decipher this event correctly according to
modifiers.

Even for the plain old Qwerty layout, TextMate actually has
*heuristics* to decipher the event.

As for what Leopard may or may not change, I can’t say. But there is
one new line in a header that has made me add “revisit key event
decoding” to the to-do. But don’t get your hopes up, it’s no simple
thing, and presently I have no idea if the new route is plausible.