[TxMt] XCode - Clickable error messages

Gerd Knops gerti-textmate at bitart.com
Thu May 3 14:37:25 UTC 2007

On May 2, 2007, at 9:46 PM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> On 5. Apr 2007, at 18:54, Gerd Knops wrote:
>
>> On Apr 5, 2007, at 12:26 AM, Allan Odgaard wrote:
>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Related to this, I have an ASSERT() macro which aborts() and does
>>> a stack dump from the place where it aborts, this stack dump has
>>> files and line numbers, and I’ve been pondering making that into
>>> clickable links -- the format though is not the standard:
>>
>> I have done just that, using a small perl postprocessor parsing
>> the output from the run_xcodebuild.sh, looking for patterns and
>> replacing them with txmt links. It is kind of ugly, my current
>> project has source files divided into folders so I devised a small
>> search routine that descends from TM_PROJECT_DIRECTORY to find the
>> source file (ignoring _darcs/.svn repositories). Works fairly
>> well, but just to ugly and specialized to my environment to share.
>>
>> Ideally we'd come up with a standard pattern for error messages,
>> and add that functionality into the xcode stuff. That way anyone
>> could generate clickable links by just formatting log or error
>> messages in a certain way.
>
> Returning to this subject… the way we deal with it in ScriptMate is
> by setting a TM_FD variable for the process we launch. This process
> can then write HTML to that file descriptor, which will be shown as-
> is (i.e. interpreted) in the HTML output window.

You know, I still haven't forgiven you for removing that output
option where one could enter a pattern. Since then my tools spend a
lot more code on formatting output then on getting their job done.
And now you want me to replace NSLog(@"I am here")
with something that opens some stupid file handle, then has to write
(to get a line break) something like NSLog(@"<ihateallan>I am here</
ihateallan>")? I hope you are kidding!

BTW for long-running processes the output window needs a clear button/
shortcut/context menu entry.

Gerd