[TxMt] Re: Running an AppleScript

Jacob Rus jrus at hcs.harvard.edu
Sat Mar 31 17:47:37 UTC 2007

Tim Mansour wrote:
> Perhaps we can hope that AppleScript 2.0 includes unicode encoding?

Indeed!  The inability of AppleScript to really handle unicode is one of
its most annoying aspects.

> And as for emails ... I can't find any way of changing Mail's encoding.
> Any suggestions?

Ah, Allan explained that Mail will just pick whichever encoding results
in the smallest email, so apparently including ≠ will result in a Mac
Roman encoding, because that saves 1 byte over the utf-8 encoded
version.  I think this sounds overly complex and a bit silly (at least
for languages based on latin characters), but there it is.  It was just
surprising to me, as I hadn't seen a Mac Roman encoded email in years
(or at least not noticed it).  So I guess there's nothing you can do.

-Jacob