[TxMt] keep it in iso-8859-1

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Sat Mar 31 15:48:33 UTC 2007

On 31. Mar 2007, at 17:28, Henrik Nyh wrote:

> Allan Odgaard wrote:
>> Finally a question: If your web-site is all in latin-1, how do you
>> deal with user input, if any? I.e. if I can post comments or in
>> some other way submit arbitrary plain text to your site, you just
>> pray I restrain myself to latin-1, and that the browser sends my
>> text as latin-1? ;)
> You can specify the accept-charset attribute for a form; otherwise
> it will default to the document's encoding, with varying behaviour
> for unknown sequences: http://www.intertwingly.net/blog/1761.html

That it defaults to the documents encoding is the suggested behavior,
not required.

However, my question was meant for someone who actually sends pages
as latin-1 (as I would guess the OP does).

If you accept user content and display it on your site (like his
login name), you sort of have to set the accept encoding to utf-8 and
then entity-encode that accepted text (so that it can be displayed on
the pages you serve).