[TxMt] Re: exclude snippets from menu

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Sat Mar 31 14:58:05 UTC 2007

On 30. Mar 2007, at 18:14, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:

> [...]
> TextMate needs to load and keep track of all the snippets for
> activated bundles at all times, since at every key press it needs
> to determine if one of these needs to be called. So if every bundle
> created these gozillions of snippets, as I am sure they would like
> to, I think this would actually have a performance hit for
> TextMate. Especially for the bundles that don't ship with TM, which
> are saved in XML format instead of binary, so even just loading
> them takes some (admittedly not too much) time.

It actually lazy-loads bundle items as needed. It caches the name,
scope selector, and activation in an index file which is loaded at
startup (though it has to go through the bundles folders to check if
any bundles were updated since the index was last generated, which is
still a big factor faster than actually having to load each item) --
the index is saved as ~/Library/Caches/TextMate/Bundle Index -- mine
is presently just below one megabyte.