[TxMt] Prince install

Paul McCann paul.mccann at adelaide.edu.au
Wed Mar 28 05:32:36 UTC 2007

Laudun John wrote:

> I know this is off-topic for this list, but I was hoping someone
> here was working towards a similar workflow and had done it
> successfully.

Hmm, not sure if I can decipher what happened at your end, but I just
successfully installed prince here.

Expand the file prince-5.1r14-macosx.tar.gz wherever you've
downloaded it: in a terminal window (assuming downloads end up on the
desktop) ...

% cd Desktop
% tar zxf prince-5.1r14-macosx.tar.gz

Then hop into the new directory

% cd prince-5.1r14-macosx
% sudo -s
Password: **********

# ./install.sh
Prince 5.1 - Demo License

Install directory
     This is the directory in which Prince 5.1 will be installed.
     Press Enter to accept the default directory or enter an
alternative.
     [/usr/local]:

Installing Prince 5.1...

Installation complete.
     Thank you for choosing Prince 5.1, we hope you find it useful.
     Please visit http://www.princexml.com for updates and
development news.

(That is, I left the install directory to be the default, and just
pressed return at that stage)

Post this I could just call "prince --help" in a new terminal window
and up came the help. Apologies if the hand-holding comes off as
condescending: it's not meant that way -- it's just hard to tell what
someone knows from a short message.

Best of luck,
Paul