[TxMt] How to create new untitled doc from another process.

Henrik Nyh henrik at nyh.se
Sun Mar 11 23:57:36 UTC 2007

Peter Jaros wrote:
> I would say
>
> $ osascript -e 'tell application "TextMate" to make new document'
>
> but that doesn't seem to work properly.  However,
>
> $ osascript -e 'tell application "TextEdit" to make new document'
>
> works for TextEdit.  Methinks this is a TextMate bug.  Allan?

If "Enable assistive devices" is enabled (see
http://www.mactech.com/articles/mactech/Vol.21/21.06/UserInterfaceScripting/index.html),
something like

tell application "System Events"
	tell process "TextMate"
		set frontmost to true
		click menu item "New" of menu "File" of menu bar 1
	end tell
end tell

should do it. Or as a shell script:

osascript <<APPLESCRIPT
tell application "System Events"
	tell process "TextMate"
		set frontmost to true
		click menu item "New" of menu "File" of menu bar 1
	end tell
end tell
APPLESCRIPT