[TxMt] VIM features I miss

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Thu Mar 8 23:50:15 UTC 2007

On Mar 8, 2007, at 6:24 PM, Thomas Bohn wrote:

> On 03/08/07 16:56:22, Ernest Obusek wrote:
>
>> * Visually show that a file is Read Only (which lets me know I need
>> to do a p4 edit on the file)
>
> Yeah that would be a good feature. A little hint in the title would
> really help.
>
> Like: $document.txt (read only)

So maybe I am missing something, but what do you mean by read-only?
What is it that determines if the file is read-only or not? You
either have write-access to the file or not, and if you do not then
you wouldn't be able to save it anyway, while if you do then the file
is not read-only. And how would TM determine if the file is read-only
or not? I suppose it could try to write to the file, but wouldn't
that alter the modification date on every file where this is
successful, which is certainly not desirable? Or is there a tool to
test if a particular file is write-accessible to the current user?
And what if you want to edit some files that you only have access to
in administrator mode?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I guess I just don't get it.

>> * Show in the status bar at the bottom of the main window how far
>> into the file the cursor is as a percentage of the file size
>
> Well, you see on the scroll bar how big the file is. I don't think a
> value in per cent would give more information. With the cursor? I
> don't
> know, maybe an indicator in the scroll bar, where the cursor currently
> is.
>
> When I scroll through my documents it is sometimes awfull to get
> suddenly to a complete different place just because I forgot where
> I left
> the cursor.

Can't resist, but it's called the caret, while the cursor is the
mouse pointer. E.g.:

Caret:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Carbon/Conceptual/
ATSUI_Concepts/atsui_chap5/chapter_5_section_2.html

Cursors:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/
OSXHIGuidelines/XHIGCursors/chapter_15_section_2.html#//apple_ref/doc/
uid/TP40002724-TPXREF101

> Thomas

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College