[TxMt] Re: Resources for Emacs veterans?

Xavier Noria fxn at hashref.com
Tue Mar 6 16:54:20 UTC 2007

On Mar 6, 2007, at 5:17 PM, Jacob Rus wrote:

>> 3. can I work on a single window, switching between buffers from the
>> keyboard, or will I have a zillion windows floating around my
>> desktop?
>
> Yes, you can make a 'project' with several files in it open in tabs

Since the OP didn't know about this, according to his question, let
me add that there are of course shorcuts to move through tabs, but
you don't need to use the tabs, and given you're profile you're
likely not to.

The shortcut ⌘T launches a mini Window with a list of file names and
a textbox. As you type in the textbox the list of file names is
filtered on the fly using some smart algorithm (typing "ic" selects
"invoice_controller.rb" in my current project for instance, I don't
know whether the algorithm is the same one used by Quicksilver but
they behave similarly). Selecting a file name in the filtered list
opens that file or tab (if it was already opened).

There are some libraries for buffer selection with completion for
emacs, but since TextMate is designed around projects ⌘T actually
does not care whether the file was open or not, its natural scope is
the project, and that's far mor useful the way I work (perhaps ECB
offers something like this for the minibuffer?).

So you can forget about the tabs and the mouse, the entire project is
there at the tip of your fingers.

-- fxn