[TxMt] er

Daniel Jalkut jalkut at red-sweater.com
Sat Jun 23 20:54:49 UTC 2007

On 23. Jun 2007, at 20:40, Steven W Riggins wrote:

 > I just installed WP 2.2.1 with Daniel Jalkut's xml-rpc changes but
 > now I can't fetch posts at all due to an iso timecode error.

Hi Steven - I just signed up the list so I could reply :)

First of all, the 2.2.1 release of WordPress includes several fixes to
XML-RPC that I encouraged, but Joseph did all the hard work. So
they're not "my changes," but I do have some perspective on them.

The time-zone one you're running into is actually the earliest issue
of the bunch that I raised, so it's not completely fresh in my memory.
But it was motivated by a change in 2.2 that would cause the time zone
to be completely omitted from the timestamps. While this is arguably
correct by "the letter of the law" for XML-RPC, it's not something
that WordPress had ever done before, so it threw off the times for
posts in at least WordPress, and probably other clients as well.

I think the way it worked before 2.2 was to put the actual time zone
of the blog into the timestamps. So if you had set your blog up as a
-4 hours time zone, it would return dates with "-0400" or something on
it. So with the change in 2.2 to represent dates in GMT format, I
suggested that at least it should indicate as much so that the date
would be unambiguous. I think I suggested using -0000, but since Z
worked for me and seemed more satisfactory to Joseph, I had no
objection.

Hope this helps clarify the rationale for the fixes. I'm not sure what
Joseph should do at this point, if anything. Unless somebody can say
with confidence that they feel -0000 will be more reliable across the
most clients than Z is.

Daniel