[TxMt] Commanding an outside app

Jay Soffian jay-txmt at soffian.org
Sat Jun 23 16:36:59 UTC 2007

On Jun 23, 2007, at 9:01 AM, John Laudun wrote:

> Now, I know I could write an AppleScript -- okay, I've never been
> any good with AS, but it's there -- I was just hoping that I could
> not and thus be able to work entirely within TextMate. All I need
> is a keystroke, or perhaps two, that would start and stop playback
> of an MP3 file. (I assume I would have to do this through
> QuickTime, but if there's a simpler command-line tool that could do
> this, that would be fine with me.) The only wrinkle I would like to
> add would be to be able to set an "auto-rewind" to the START or
> STOP command so that when playback commenced again it would start X
> seconds backwards from where it stopped. Setting this X in a config
> file of some kind would be fine with me.

Okay, I created three commands which should get you started. I put
these in a bundle together which is attached. You'll probably want to
change the key bindings.

⇧F1 Start Current Movie - Plays the frontmost window in Quicktime
Player after rewinding it by two seconds.
⇧F2 Stop Current Movie - Stops all movies in Quicktime Player.
⇧F3 Rewind Current Movie - Rewinds the frontmost window in Quicktime
Player to the beginning.

So just open your MP3 in Quicktime Player and away you go. BTW, I
figured out the scripts by looking here:

http://www.apple.com/applescript/quicktime/

j.