[TxMt] My Textmate's Run Script commands broken by Apple security patch?

Ed Allen edallen at stanford.edu
Mon Jun 11 17:33:15 UTC 2007

Thanks for all the help. After reading through your comments, I got
it working this morning.

Bash is my normal login shell, though I have some cruft in my home
dir from my previous Mac that initially had tcsh back in 10.1 days.

I had a TM_RUBY set for /usr/local/bin/ruby, which is the copy of
ruby I installed for developing rails stuff (1.8.4, need to update
that). It seemed to me like this was correct, but in case it was an
issue, since somebody mentioned the Apple installed one at /usr/bin/
ruby, I cleared out that environment variable.

What actually fixed things, though, was thinking about Allan's
mention of corrupted paths and cleaning up my shell startup files. I
renamed an old .cshrc from my previous Mac to inactivate it but
retain some bits just in case I ever need them. I had mostly
redundant .bash_profile and .bash_login contents (don't remember why
I did that), so I renamed the .bash_login to keep it from getting
considered. I commented out a couple of dumb aliases in .bashrc that
were accounted for by the path in .bash_profile.

After this housekeeping, I restarted, started up Textmate, and ran a
test ruby script. It worked and ran under my /usr/local/bin
installation of ruby.

I also retested in Python and Perl and the run command is working for
all three now. It's still a bit mysterious to me why my messy shell
files started being a problem, since Ruby had been working fine for
Textmate previously, but the cleanup solved it.