[TxMt] Re: help on folding rules

Piero D'Ancona pierodancona at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 15:38:17 UTC 2007

Allan Odgaard <throw-away-1 at ...> writes:

> > I understand folding keeps into account both the rules given in the
> > language definition and the text indentation, but which one takes
> > precedence?
>
> Both are required, none take precedence.

I did RTFM. But I am confised, nevertheless
(sorry, just a mathematician, JAM).
Try this: create a tex file containing only

\begin{equation}
\begin{split}
\end{split}
\end{equation}

(no indentation) and you will notice that folding is
indeed activated on both groups. Moreover, using
the menu shortcuts shows that the outer group is
folding level 1 and the inner group is folding level 2.
So, Indentation is not strictly required after all.
Then try this:

  \begin{equation}
\begin{split}
\end{split}
  \end{equation}

(outer group indented). The result is the same,
outer group level 1, inner group level 2.
What is going on?

But I can happily dispense from understanding the details.
The reason I am asking is the following: it would be
great to use TextMate as a cataloging tool for my
removable media; if I drag and drop a CDrom on an
open TextMate window I get a list of the contents,
nicely indented. Think about it: a project with the
catalog, in plain .txt files, of all my CDs and DVDs,
plust the searching power of TextMate.
What is missing is a way to fold-unfold the list.
But the way this list is indented clashes with
TextMate folding rules, so I am not able to define
appropriate folding rules to manage the catalog.

OK sorry for the waste of time
Thanks,
Piero