[TxMt] Re: Caps Lock as Ctrl key doesn't work for all combos

Jacob Rus jacobolus at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 03:27:12 UTC 2007

Quinn Comendant wrote:
> You're not crazy Jon!
>
> I too experience similar weirdness using caps->cntl on a a non-mac external keyboard. I'm using an old IBM Model M [1] and find the cntl key doesn't map correctly in some cases.
>
> In my case I have remapped the following:
>
> Alt -> Command
> Ctrl -> Option
> Caps -> Cntl
>
> I think all my problems involve the left shift key. For example, Cntl + Shift + Opt + S doesn't invoke the SQL/Shell language menu. However if I use the *right* shift key it does work. Which means something is awray with the keyboard or the PS/2->USB converter. Any other keyboard does work. I've gotten use to using the right shift key in these cases but I'm not happy about it. And since I expect my Model M to last longer than my fingers (it's 20 yrs old already) I'd like to figure out what's wrong.
>
> Anybody else using a Model M on a Mac?

Yes, this is consistent with some of the problems I get with a Model M
plugged in to a USB adaptor.  I'm not sure if the problem is with the
keyboard or the adaptor.

For instance I need to use right ⇧ for ⌃⇧W (wrap selection in tag, in
html).  Oddly, it's only with the W key, and maybe a couple of others,
that this is a problem.  I have no trouble hitting ⌃⇧A with the left ⇧.

-Jacob