[TxMt] opening a file readonly

Dave Winzler dave at nkvt.com
Fri Jul 20 13:02:56 UTC 2007

On Jul 19, 2007, at 6:52:07 PM, Cliff Pruitt wrote:

> Yeah I know what you're saying & of course Emacs & vim are "text
> editors". :-)  But honestly how many "editors" of any kind have a
> read-only mode? (This is where someone emails me a list of like
> 3,000 read-only editors & I look like a jerk... happens every time.)

One feature of BBEdit that I've missed since moving to TextMate a
couple years ago is the ability to open a file Read Only, or even to
mark an already-open file as Read Only. It's not something I would
call a key feature that all text editors need to have, but it is a
great way to protect a file from inadvertent changes (aka protect me
from myself).

When working on one source file I very often have another file open
from a completely different project, for reference or for copying
code from. More than once I've modified the wrong file and
accidentally saved my changes, then had to use version control to
revert back. It would be much easier if there was a fast and simple
way to open the reference file Read Only.

Don't know about the other 2,999 editors that off that feature, tho,
so I'll let others chime in about that ;)

  - Dave