[TxMt] Skim 0.5 Latex Watch

Niels Kobschätzki n.kobschaetzki at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 8 09:28:22 UTC 2007

On 7/8/07, Robin Houston <robin.houston at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/8/07, Perrins <perrinhouse at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear all, Having troubles getting Skim 0.5 to work with the Latex Watch
> > bundle. The compiled PDF is not updated on saving the source LaTeX. PDF sync
> > back and forwards works perfectly. Is anyone else having this problem?
>
> Yes, I see the same problem here. Thanks for letting me know.
>
> I think this is a bug in Skim 0.5, because the PDF file is being
> updated, but Skim does not notice. I have found a workaround, which
> I'll include in the next version of Watch, but for the moment I
> recommend that Latex Watch users do NOT upgrade to Skim 0.5!

Maybe it's the way Skim now checks for the updated PDF. Before it just
tried to open it every few seconds. Now it uses kqueue (some
kernel-thingy when iirc from a thread on the skim-mailing list) for
it.
See the release notes of Skim 0.5:
Greatly enhance file update checking. Use kqueue notifications instead
of a timer and check for complete PDF files.

Niels