[TxMt] Why compile in XeLaTeX?

Nathan Paxton napaxton at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 16:42:40 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I have the following document preamble, and I want to compile in
PDFLaTeX, but TM keeps falling back to XeTeXk, and I can't figure out
why.  Any suggestions?

-N

% !TEX TS-program = pdflatex
%  untitled

\documentclass[12pt,english]{article}
\usepackage{babel}

\usepackage{pdfsync}
\usepackage{amsmath, amsthm, amssymb}

%\usepackage{palatino,eulervm}
\usepackage{fullpage}
\usepackage{setspace}
\usepackage{fancyhdr}

% Surround parts of graphics with box
\usepackage{boxedminipage}

% This is now the recommended way for checking for PDFLaTeX:
\usepackage{ifpdf}

%\newif\ifpdf
%\ifx\pdfoutput\undefined
%\pdffalse % we are not running PDFLaTeX
%\else
%\pdfoutput=1 % we are running PDFLaTeX
%\pdftrue
%\fi
\ifpdf
\usepackage[pdftex]{graphicx} \else
\usepackage{graphicx} \fi

%% LaTeX Preamble - Common packages

\usepackage[pdftex,colorlinks,breaklinks,bookmarks]{hyperref}  % PDF
hyperlinks, with coloured links
\definecolor{dullmagenta}{rgb}{0.4,0,0.4}   % #660066
\definecolor{darkblue}{rgb}{0,0,0.4}
\hypersetup{linkcolor=red,citecolor=blue,filecolor=dullmagenta,urlcolor=darkblue}
% coloured links
% \hypersetup{linkcolor=black,citecolor=black,filecolor=black,urlcolor=black}
% black links, for printed output

%\usepackage{epstopdf} % to include .eps graphics files with pdfLaTeX
\usepackage{natbib}

\newtheorem{hypothesis}{Hypothesis}
\newcommand{\superscript}[1]{\ensuremath{^\textrm{#1}}}
\newcommand{\subscript}[1]{\ensuremath{_\textrm{#1}}}

--
----------
Nathan A. Paxton

Resident Tutor
John Winthrop House, Harvard University

napaxton at fas.harvard.edu
http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~napaxton
When you have to stay eight years away from California, you live in a
perpetual state of homesickness.
        - Ronald Reagan

The most courageous act is still to think for yourself.  Aloud.
        -Coco Chanel