[TxMt] Re: FYI mailing lists available on nabble.com now too

James Strachan james.strachan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 10:33:34 UTC 2007

On 1/16/07, Jacob Rus <jrus at hcs.harvard.edu> wrote:
> James.Strachan wrote:
> > Just a heads up, I've registered the various TextMate mailing lists with the
> > excellent Nabble site so you can browse/post using a forum-style front end
> > as well...
> >
> > http://www.nabble.com/TextMate-f18156.html
>
> God, why would anyone *want* to use a forum?  It's by far the worst
> internet discussion interface yet devised: much clunkier than mail or
> nntp clients.  I wish there were bridges that went the other way,
> because the interface is the largest deterrent to participating in
> online forums.

Its personal preference really; folks can choose to use the mailing
list or use the nabble forum-ish front end. (Think of nabble as just a
nicer gmane.org)

I think it depends on your involvement with the list; for some mailing
lists I surf them once in a while - so a forum/web interface is way
more useful. For other mailng lists I read just about every mail as
they come in, so don't use nabble. The main sweet spot for nabble is
the casual user who just wants to noodle around a mailing list once in
a while without having to receive every single email message.

--

James
-------