[TxMt] Re: bundle organization

William D. Neumann wneumann at cs.unm.edu
Tue Feb 27 16:59:02 UTC 2007

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007, Allan Odgaard wrote:

>>>   * OCamlCodeCompletion being 3 bundles is ridiculous.
>>>     Even one is pushing it, given that the concept is
>>>     a drastic misuse of snippets for a problem domain
>>>     they aren't suited to, but 3 is definitely overkill.
>> I think that someone's working on this
>
> Yes, I think when the newer completion bundle from David Powers has been
> deemed useable enough, the other (snippet-based completion) bundles will go.

Well, I'm not quite sure what David's vision is for the OCaml Completion
bundle he's working on, but I can only hope that it's a better one than
that of the latex/ruby bundle style completion, which I find to be pretty
useless.

Now, OCaml does have an advantage here in that the default mode of
operation is to use modules and not classes, allowing for an easier
narrowing of possible completions in most cases, but still the notion of
having to hit escape 15 times to get the right function, and then to not
have the parameters appear as well is, frankly, a step (or three) in the
wrong direction.

Of course, at the moment it doesn't appear to do anything, and one of the
commands relies on cmigrep which isn't included with the bundle, so who
knows where it's going...

William D. Neumann

---

"There's just so many extra children, we could just feed the
children to these tigers.  We don't need them, we're not doing
anything with them.

Tigers are noble and sleek; children are loud and messy."

         -- Neko Case

Life is unfair.  Kill yourself or get over it.
 	-- Black Box Recorder