[TxMt] Re: bundle organization

Jacob Rus jrus at hcs.harvard.edu
Mon Feb 26 21:37:44 UTC 2007

Okay, so I still think a bunch of this should be done, but it didn't get
many replies last time.  I'll annotate the list a bit.  Maybe I can just
assume that silence = consent this time? ;)

Jacob Rus wrote:
> PS: Incidentally, I'm in general in favor of merging some of the
> smaller bundles that really belong together, and doing some other
> renaming to keep things better organized, more consistent, and
> clearer for users:
>
>   * There's no reason for Django to have 2 bundles.
>     Also, maybe call this "Python -- Django" ?

Are any of the Django guys on this list?  If so, do you mind merging the
bundles?

>   * OCamlCodeCompletion being 3 bundles is ridiculous.
>     Even one is pushing it, given that the concept is
>     a drastic misuse of snippets for a problem domain
>     they aren't suited to, but 3 is definitely overkill.

I think that someone's working on this

>   * JQuery should be renamed "Javascript JQuery" to
>     match the YUI and Prototype bundles.
>   * "Tricks" and "Experimental" bundles seem to have
>     an overlapping mission

Apparently they don't have an overlapping mission, and Allan wants to
keep them separate.  Okay by me :)

>   * "Template toolkit" should maybe be called "HTML --
>     template toolkit" so that people have an idea what
>     it is?
>   * Not sure "web searches" really deserves its own
>     bundle.  Why can't it go under the "TextMate"
>     bundle or similar.

I still sort of feel this way.  Maybe it belongs in "tricks" then, or
something?

>   * should SWeave maybe be called "R -- Sweave"?
>   * I still kinda think 3 GTD bundles is too much

What ever happened to the plan to get rid of "GTD" and change the name
of "GTD2" to just "GTD"?  Or am I just imagining that that was the plan?

>   * Can we just get rid of Active4D altogether,
>     as something that's only used by one guy?
>     (and take that theme out of the repository,
>     too?)

I'm not sure that Aparajita guy is subscribed to this list.  Maybe
someone should just email him directly and ask about this?

>   * Change "MIPS" to "Assembler", and then people
>     can put other assembly language syntaxes in
>     the same bundle?

Is anyone opposed to such a change?  I think it would keep things
cleaner, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

> Not all of the above are necessarily the best ideas.
> Feel free to dispute any of them.

-Jacob