[TxMt] Bibdesk problems

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Mon Feb 26 05:14:16 UTC 2007

On Feb 25, 2007, at 11:15 PM, Michael Zanis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to textmate and bibdesk.  I am not able to format
> citations.  I can
> follow the tutorials but if I try to cite from bibliography
> completion I get
>
> \cite{sh: line 1: /usr/local/teTeX/bin/i386-apple-darwin8.3.1/
> kpsewhich:
> cannot execute binary file
> sh: line 1: /usr/local/teTeX/bin/i386-apple-darwin8.3.1/kpsewhich:
> cannot
> execute binary file
> Ng1}
>
> I am using a PowerPC G4, with os x 10.4.8 and textmate 1.5.4.

This problem has nothing to do with BibDesk. TextMate's default
Bibliography completion doesn't even use BibDesk, it accesses the bib
file directly . Sounds though like you are running an old version of
TM ( mine is 1.5.4 (1360), note the 1360 there ). I would suggest
switching updates to "cutting edge", and then update.

There was an error some time ago in the way that the bibliography
command was trying to locate kpsewhich, which is exactly your problem
here. Even though you are on a power-pc, you have both powerpc and
intel binaries, and the old method was essentially locating the ones
that were coming first alphabetically (terrible, I know).

The new, "cutting edge", version should not have this problem. You
can also instead start using the subversion repository version of the
bundles (See the "Getting More Bundles" section of TextMate's help
for more).

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College