[TxMt] auto-completion? does Textmate support this (e.g. start typing a variable name then hit a hotkey to provide suggestions)

Thomas Aylott (subtleGradient) oblivious at subtlegradient.com
Sat Feb 24 14:57:08 UTC 2007

On Feb 16, 2007, at 2:44 PM, Greg Hauptmann wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Does Textmate provide any auto-completion capabilities? (like
> RadRails is starting to).   If not are there plans to?
>
>  I mean those features like:
> * type the first few characters of a local/instance variable name
> then hit hot key combination and suggestions for current variables
> that match this a presented to you,
> * type a variable name then "." and get suggestions of available
> methods (a bit more interesting I know for a language like ruby)
>
> Thanks
> Greg

Yes, and no.

If you have the latest cutting-edge release of TextMate then you'll
have access to what little codecompletion we have in there already.
But, personally, what we have at the moment is pitiful compared to
most cocoa apps like CSSEdit and xCode.
When in a Ruby, HTML or CSS scope, hit option escape to complete the
current word.
I wrote a ruby class for handling code completion. JEG2 added rcode
tools to ruby for doing intelligent completions.

The code completions in CSS & HTML are mostly just a static list.
Depending on where your curser is in CSS determines what list it uses
to complete. The main completion for CSS also parses your document
and gives you a list of the IDs and classes you've already used, but
that part is still kindof rather buggy.

If you get the Experimental bundle there is also English Word
completion and filename/path completion.

All of them are bound to option-escape.

I just downloaded RadRails. It looks pretty hip (all expect the text
editor part :P )

thomas Aylott — subtleGradient — CrazyEgg — sixteenColors