[TxMt] Folding variables in JavaScript

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Sat Feb 17 06:49:04 UTC 2007

On 13. Feb 2007, at 15:07, Pierre Mareschal wrote:

> In JavaScript, I'd like to be able to fold not only functions (that
> works great) but also "variables" as declared in json for example.
>
> function Bookmark(p_idx, p_type, p_text) {
> 	this.index = p_idx;
> 	this.bookmarkType = p_type;
> 	this.text = p_text;
> }
> folds great, but:
> var UNITS_METRIC = {
> 	name: "metric",
> 	distance: " m.",
> 	speed: " m/min.",
> 	weight: " kg.",
> 	pressure: " bar"
> }
> does not fold when JavaScript language is selected but folds when
> HTML language is selected!

So what you call “variables” is effectively folding on { and }?

> Wouldn't it be possible to add a "rule" to be able to fold such
> variables in JavaScript language as it works in the HTML language?
> How?

The manual has a section about it: http://macromates.com/textmate/
manual/navigation_overview#customizing_foldings

With JavaScript, the folding is done on the function keyword (iirc),
so additionally folding on { would be problematic (as a function then
causes two fold start markers) -- but one could remove folding for
the function keyword.

Are JavaScript developers married to the concept of folding on
‘function’ instead of the brackets?